Medical Information for patients with Behçet’s disease
In this part of the website, you can read about what Behçet’s disease is, how it is diagnosed and treated, and what similar disorders exist. You can also download information leaflets on Behçet’s disease.
- What is Behçet’s disease? Behçet’s syndrome (now known as Behçet’s disease) is a chronic condition resulting from disturbances in the body’s immune system.
- How is Behçet’s disease diagnosed? There is no test for Behçet’s disease at the moment. It is diagnosed by specific patterns of symptoms and repeated outbreaks of them.
- Similar disorders There are several disorders that have patterns of symptoms that overlap with those of Behçet’s disease. In the absence of a test to confirm Behçet’s, this can make diagnosis quite difficult.
- BSS factsheets All the factsheets listed are available free of charge from the Society, and many can be downloaded here.
- Headache in Behçet’s disease Headache is one of the most continual and troublesome symptoms in Behçet’s disease. Some patients are lucky and hardly ever get headaches; others have daily chronic severe throbbing headaches that are very disabling.
- Neuro-Behçet’s disease An international research project has developed clinical and practical guidelines on the key issues in the diagnosis and treatment of neuro-Behçet’s disease.
- Referral to a Centre of Excellence